The 2, 5 and 10km WALK is held on Saturday, February 20th, 2016, and provides participants the opportunity to experience a hint of the challenges faced by those experiencing homelessness while raising much needed revenue for their favourite local charity.
Since 2011, the Coldest Night of the Year has raised $7.9 million dollars through the tireless efforts of each of our well known and well respected location partners (charities).
In 2011, the WALK was piloted in Toronto and Kitchener/Waterloo by Blue Sea Philanthropy. From a standing start in mid-January until WALK Day 40 days later, a passionate group of 406 walkers (including kids, youth, families, and retirees) signed up and together raised a remarkable $110,000. 70% of that amount was disbursed to our exceptional location partners - Ray of Hope, Yonge Street Mission and Sanctuary Ministries.
In 2012, the WALK welcomed 18 new charities from 18 new cities across Canada. With the help of 3075 walkers and a generous group of volunteers, sponsors and donors we raised $668,000 in year two.
In 2013, the WALK expanded again with 20 new city partners from all over Canada including a large contingent in the Maritimes. This larger family of 38 cities successfully cultivated 8183 walkers who dug deep and raised $1,534,817.
2014 saw the event grow to 63 city partners, who collectively raised over $2.5 million through the hard work of over 12,000 passionate participants.
The amazing effort of our 81 communities brought in over $3 million for our cause - record-breaking numbers of walkers and volunteers (15,700 and 2,000, respectively) made it happen.
All walkers must register! Come between 4:00 - 5:00PM for Walk Registration, followed by opening remarks and the kick off.
Then, after you finish the walk, between 6:00 and 9:00pm a warm, light meal will be served to all walkers and volunteers. Be sure to linger with us afterwards, share some laughs, hang with some friends and celebrate the WALK - at least till you warm up.
Registration takes place 4:00 - 5:00 PM. All walkers must register and sign a waiver form before participating. Please come prepared with:
Note: Walkers who raise $150 (adults) or $75 (youth aged 13-17) do NOT have to pay the $25 registration fee.
View location specific maps here to see more details.
Rest Stops: Rest stops will be provided along the route providing some shelter, some heat, a bathroom and (in most locations) a complimentary drink!
Safety & Support: We will have volunteers at key corners and intersections pointing the way and cheering you on. As well, there will a support vehicle keeping an eye on everyone along the route.
What to Wear: Who knows what the weather will be like on February 20th? It could be warmer than expected, or cold and blowy. The key is to come prepared while keeping an eye on the Weather Network. Come prepared with:
1. Print the waiver form, sign it (or have your parent/guardian sign it if you are aged 17 and under) and have it ready to hand it. Waiver forms are available here: tools/waiver
2. Print the "My Results" form under the "Download Forms" section of the Fundraising Portal to bring with you on WALK Day.
3. Gather your cash and cheques together, and be sure the amount of cash / cheques you have matches what you have recorded on your pledge form.
4. Check all of your cheque donations to ensure they are:
5. Indicate any donation that remains uncollected on your pledge form by highlight and noting it on your form.
6. Go to your WALK location and hand in your cash (keep loose coin in ziplock bags or coin rolls, or even better - convert to paper money), cheques, and pledge form, and then get walking!